Gold Monkey Forum Store Gold Monkey Forum Store
Gold Monkey Forum
For "Grannies and Cows" "Lonely Old Bats"
"Old Coots and Geezers" and "Scatterbrains"

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2014, 02:34:32 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

goldmonkey.org  |  General  |  U.S. News  |  Topic: Dead Celebrities 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dead Celebrities  (Read 84752 times)
bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2007, 05:17:51 PM »

Afro
American Author, Cultural Icon, Norman Mailer Dead at 84

10 November 2007
For nearly 60 years, Norman Mailer was one of America's most prolific and controversial authors. A colleague says Mailer died early Saturday at a hospital in New York City. He was 84.

Mailer was just 25 years old when he burst on the literary scene with his first novel, The Naked And The Dead. The World War II tale is universally recognized as one of the best war novels to emerge from that conflict. Published in 1948, it is all the more remarkable because Mailer wrote realistically of combat without ever actually having taken part in battle.

Many critics saw flashes of Ernest Hemingway in the young Mailer's novel. A recurring theme in his writing, as in Hemingway's, was man testing his masculinity. Even as an author, Norman Mailer considered himself a battler, a fighter. He closely identified himself with boxing champions such as Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, just as Hemingway identified himself with hunters and bullfighters.

Mailer acknowledged that he modeled himself publicly after Hemingway, that he tried to become the all-around male symbol. But Hemingway observed that becoming a public figure clouds a writer's sharpness, and Mailer agreed.

"It's the dilemma because if you go out, you get battered in a varying degree of . . . Hemingway used to speak of it as getting dulled, that you dull the edge of your blade (eds: lose your ability to write well). Then he used some continuing metaphor to the effect, 'Well, you take the blade and you put it on the grindstone and you keep writing.," he said.

With the publication of The Naked and the Dead, Mailer became a celebrity, and he basked in the attendant publicity. His second novel, Barbary Shore, was a critical and financial failure. Mailer had trouble finding a publisher for his third effort, The Deer Park, because it was considered too overtly sexual. Reviewers dismissed it and wondered whether mailer was a one-book author who would never again write anything as good as The Naked and The Dead. But today critics have reassessed The Deer Park, and many believe it to be Mailer's best work.

Mailer became the articulate voice of the 1960s with writing such as his novel Why Are We In Vietnam? and his eyewitness account of the 1968 presidential nominating conventions, "Miami and the Siege of Chicago." He won the prestigious National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize for Armies Of The Night -- a personal account of the 1967 march on the Pentagon by anti-war activists. He was awarded a second Pulitzer in 1979 for The Executioner's Song, the true story of self-confessed murderer Gary Gilmore.

Always a supremely confident extrovert, Mailer at times seemed like a publicity-seeking clown. In 1968, for example, he ran for mayor of New York, campaigning to make the city a separate state. Yet even his harshest critics agreed that Mailer was brilliant, if not a genius. Raised in New York City, Mailer entered Harvard University at the unusually young age of 16. His plan was to become an engineer. But he began writing short stories, and when he won a collegiate literary prize, Norman Mailer knew that his true calling was as a writer.

In 1984, Mailer wrote his first mystery novel, Tough Guys Don't Dance. As the author readily admitted, he was again dealing with the Mailer theme of man testing himself.

"Well, I wanted to try something different with this one, which is, I always thought 'Why not have somebody as your detective who's really no braver than any of us?' because the one thing about 'tough guy' murder mysteries is we read them and the pleasure we got out of them is that we're in the hands of someone who really is macho (masculine) man, who really is in control of things. And I thought, 'What if you have a guy who is only half-macho and half-wrecked? And full of fear and spooked (tormented) and suffering from all sorts of low woes like bad memory, too much drinking?'"

In addition to his novels, creative nonfiction, short stories and essays, Mailer wrote, produced, directed and acted in several films. His first new novel in a decade was published earlier in 2007. The Castle in the Forest is a fictional chronicle of Adolf Hitler's boyhood, and explores themes of good and evil. In October, as he was recovering from surgery to remove scar tissue from around his lungs, On God: An Uncommon Conversation was released. In his final work, Norman Mailer offers his concept of the nature of God… showing that even at 84, the author's blade had not been dulled.

http://voanews.com/english/2007-11-10-voa19.cfm

"True friends stab you in the front."
    Oscar Wilde
bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:07:33 PM »

Afro
Kayne Wests mother Donda West allegedly dies after plastic surgery

West Died After Tummy Tuck, Breast Reduction, Says Web Site

Another Cosmetic Surgeon Said He Would Not Operate on Her Because of Possible Complications
 Nov. 13, 2007

Adams told TMZ that he was not responsible for her death, but that she may have died from a heart attack, pulmonary embolism or massive vomiting.

Another plastic surgeon, Andre Aboolian, told ABC News that West consulted him for surgery, too, but he deemed her a health risk and wouldn't operate unless she got clearance from an internist.

Aboolian said he "insisted that she see an internist before he would entertain the surgery because she had a condition that could have caused a heart attack."

Adams also told TMZ that West consulted with him over a period of four months, often changing her mind about the surgery, according to an article on the site.

West, a former chairwoman of the Chicago State University English department, died this Saturday at Centinela Freeman Marina Hospital in Los Angeles, according to the Los Angeles County's coroner's office. She was 58.

Kanye West was reportedly in London, where he has been prepping for his upcoming "Glow in the Dark Tour," when he received the tragic news. He immediately returned to the United States. Family friends say he is absolutely devastated.

Surgery Deaths Rare But Can Happen

West's death underscores the risks of cosmetic surgery procedures. Nearly 200 people die every year from plastic surgery complications.

Today, about 2 million cosmetic procedures are done in the United States each year. That's a startling 446 percent increase in cosmetic surgeries since 1997.

This is in part because "procedures are much safer, more readily available and more affordable," said Dr. Allen D. Rosen, spokesperson for the American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS).

These days there are far more doctors performing elective procedures, and the surgeries run the full gamut -- from simple surgeries designed to give longer and fuller eyelashes to full body reconstructions.

>>>>>the complete article

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3857754&page=1

Oscar Wilde
Carnut
Administrator

Wichita, Kansas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 02:31:35 PM »

'Mr. Whipple' actor Dick Wilson dies

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/19/obit.wilson.ap/index.html

bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 03:51:35 PM »

Awww Mr Whipple, I remember him.

Oscar Wilde
bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 03:06:26 PM »

Afro

6 Dead in Wreck Involving Ex-Athlete

DOTHAN, Ala. (AP) — A collision involving a car driven by former Alabama football star Siran Stacy killed six people, including Stacy's wife and four of his children, state troopers said Tuesday.

The driver of the second vehicle also was killed, said Dorris Teague, a spokeswoman for the state troopers.

Stacy, 39, a star running back for University of Alabama in the early 1990s, was listed in stable condition in surgical intensive care at Flowers Hospital in Dothan.

The wreck occurred late Monday on U.S. 84 about six miles west of Dothan, Teague said. No other details of the wreck were immediately available, she said.

Stacy's 3-year-old daughter was taken to a hospital in Birmingham.

Troopers said the victims were Stacy's wife, Ellen Stacy, 36, and their children ages 18, 10, 8 and 3, all of Newton in southeast Alabama, along with the driver of the other vehicle, Adam W. Wayman, 29, of Dothan.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5io3f6Ax7CuS83xMV1KlastTiuaKwD8T1FJ480

Oscar Wilde
joe bear
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 09:12:24 AM »

I hate that Stacey's family got killed,I do remember him well.
bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 03:05:31 PM »

Afro

Former A's reliever Joe Kennedy dead at 28
JOE KENNEDY LEFT A BIG IMPRESSION ON FIELD, IN CLUBHOUSE

Article Launched: 11/24/2007 01:33:48 AM PST
The relaxing afterglow of Thanksgiving Day for current and former members of the A's organization was shattered Friday morning with the news that former A's left-hander Joe Kennedy died suddenly at age 28.

Kennedy was at his in-laws' home in Florida and collapsed about 1:15 a.m., Hillsborough County (Fla.) sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter told the Associated Press. Kennedy's agent, Damon Lapa, told FoxSports.com that a brain aneurysm or heart attack are the suspected causes of death.

"It was definitely a shock to all of us," said David Forst, A's assistant general manager.

Forst recalled Kennedy as a fun guy to have around. He pitched well for us, and he was definitely a personality in the clubhouse."

Kennedy spent seven seasons in the majors, and was with the A's in three of them. He went 43-61 with a 4.79 ERA in 222 appearances for Oakland, the Toronto Blue Jays, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies and Tampa Bay Devil Rays. He went 11-15, with a 4.03 ERA after the A's acquired him from the Rockies for Eric Byrnes in July 2005.

"It just seems unfair to take a guy like that from our world, because he meant a lot to so many people and he was so young," A's starter Dan Haren wrote in an e-mail. "It is such a tragedy and my heart goes out to all of his family."

Haren called Kennedy "one of my closest friends and teammates," and emphasized Kennedy's qualities as a "great dad, husband and
teammate." Kennedy was married and had a 1-year-old son.

"He was just good people," former A's catcher Jason Kendall said. "I don't even know what to say. . . . When you're with 25 guys more than you're with your wife and family throughout the year," losing a teammate "is very hard."

Several members of the A's organization said Kennedy was a noticeable presence in the clubhouse, and not just because of his 6-foot-4, 252-pound frame. They said his personality stood out in a place where most players are simply willing to blend in quietly.

"There's so many different people that you meet in the game, but just his presence alone made him unique," reliever Alan Embree said. "He demanded attention just because of his presence. If you walked in a room, you knew Joe was there. He wore his emotions on his sleeve. If he was upset, you knew it. If he was happy you knew it. So you kind of respect that."

The A's also respected the job Kennedy did for them for two seasons, the highlight of which was his work down the stretch in 2006. Kennedy, who missed half the season with shoulder tendinitis, didn't allow a run in his first 11 appearances after his return, solidifying a bullpen that was a key component of the team's American League West title.

"He and (Justin Duchscherer) were like a left/right setup combination," Forst said. ". . . In '06, when he pitched, he was outstanding. He filled a real good need for us."

Said A's Manager Bob Geren: "He was a fierce competitor on the mound, always wanted the ball. He had exactly what you wanted in a pitcher. He always wanted to be in the middle of the action as a starter or as a reliever."

Kennedy began '07 as a starter but moved to the bullpen after going 3-9 with a 4.37 ERA. The Arizona Diamondbacks claimed him on waivers in early August and Kennedy later finished the season with the Blue Jays.

http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_7547373?nclick_check=1

Oscar Wilde
bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 01:29:02 PM »

Afro

Quiet Riot Singer Kevin DuBrow Found Dead In His Las Vegas Home
Rocker, 52, died of unknown causes.

Nov 26 2007 12:24 PM EST
Quiet Riot singer Kevin DuBrow died Sunday, drummer Frankie Banali confirmed in a post on his Web site. DuBrow was 52 years old and the official cause of his death has yet to be determined.

"I can't even find words to say," Banali wrote. "Please respect my privacy as I mourn the passing and honor the memory of my dearest friend Kevin DuBrow."

DuBrow's body was discovered on Sunday inside the rocker's Las Vegas home. According to those close to the singer, DuBrow celebrated his birthday last month in New Orleans and seemed to be in good health. Quiet Riot bassist Kelly Garni has asked fans to be patient for details on the singer's death.

"I ask this to all of you not only for myself but for other friends and family," Garni wrote, in a message posted to a Web site honoring the memory of Quiet Riot founding member Randy Rhoads. "I ask that no one here offer any speculation or opinions, theories or other things that could be construed as negative or, and I'm sorry for this, even sympathetic, right at this immediate time. I am already, within hours of this, having to deal with untrue rumors and speculation and that only adds fuel to that. There is a tendency for the subject of Kevin to incite flames on every board, and now is not the time for that. I will explain to everyone here the facts and the truth in the next 24 to 48 hours as I realize this will affect us all. So please, until then, be patient. All details and other pertinent info will be passed on to you here when it becomes available to me."

Bill Chavis, owner of Chavis Records, the label that issued Quiet Riot's last LP, 2006's Rehab, also confirmed the news.

"DuBrow's body was found by friends on Sunday, November 25, in his Las Vegas home," reads the label's site. "As I mourn his death with a heavy heart, I will remember hearing his voice and the music for the very first time on the radio back in 1983. I will remember all the great music Kevin and Quiet Riot gave to so many of us over the years and I will say, 'Thank you, Kevin. May you rest in peace.' "

Credited with helping to launch the 1980s glam-metal scene, Quiet Riot are perhaps best known for their cover of Slade's "Cum on Feel the Noize," which appeared on 1983's Metal Health and eventually peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100. The album was the first by a metal band to reach the chart's #1 position.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1574957/20071126/quiet_riot.jhtml

Oscar Wilde
bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 01:44:05 PM »

Afro

Redskins Safety Sean Taylor Dies One Day After Being Shot in Home

Tuesday, November 27, 2007
MIAMI —  Pro Bowl safety Sean Taylor died Tuesday after he was shot in his home by an apparent intruder, leaving the Washington Redskins in mourning for a teammate who seemed to have reordered his life since becoming a father.

The 24-year-old player died at Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he had been airlifted after the shooting early Monday.

"It is with deep regret that a young man had to come to his end so soon," father Pedro Taylor said in a statement on behalf of the family. "Many of his fans loved him because the way he played football. Many of his opponents feared him the way he approached the game. Others misunderstood him, many appreciated him and his family loved him."

A string of mourners, including Taylor's father, visited the player's home and embraced outside. Authorities entered the home, but it was unclear what they were doing.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league will honor Taylor's memory at all games this weekend.

"This is a terrible tragedy involving the loss of a young man who leaves behind many people struggling to understand it," he said in a statement.

>>>the complete article

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,313041,00.html

Oscar Wilde
bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 07:36:12 PM »

Motorcycle Daredevil Evel Knievel Dies at Age 69

Friday, November 30, 2007
CLEARWATER, Fla. —  Evel Knievel, the red-white-and-blue-spangled motorcycle daredevil whose jumps over crazy obstacles including Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho's Snake River Canyon made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69.

Knievel's death was confirmed by his granddaughter, Krysten Knievel. He had been in failing health for years, suffering from diabetes and pulmonary fibrosis, an incurable condition that scarred his lungs.

Knievel had undergone a liver transplant in 1999 after nearly dying of hepatitis C, likely contracted through a blood transfusion after one of his bone-shattering spills. He also suffered two strokes in recent

Longtime friend and promoter Billy Rundle said Knievel had trouble breathing at his Clearwater condominium and died before an ambulance could get him to a hospital.

"It's been coming for years, but you just don't expect it. Superman just doesn't die, right?" Rundle said.

Immortalized in the Washington's Smithsonian Institution as "America's Legendary Daredevil," Knievel was best known for a failed 1974 attempt to jump Snake River Canyon on a rocket-powered cycle and a spectacular crash at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. He suffered nearly 40 broken bones before he retired in 1980.

"I think he lived 20 years longer than most people would have" after so many injuries, said his son Kelly Knievel, 47. "I think he willed himself into an extra five or six years."

Though Knievel dropped off the pop culture radar in the '80s, the image of the high-flying motorcyclist clad in patriotic, star-studded colors was never erased from public consciousness. He always had fans and enjoyed a resurgence in popularity in recent years.

His death came just two days after it was announced that he and rapper Kanye West had settled a federal lawsuit over the use of Knievel's trademarked image in a popular West music video.

>>>>read complete article>>>>

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314388,00.html

Oscar Wilde
bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 04:35:50 PM »

Stephon Marbury's father, Don, dies shortly after falling ill at Knicks game

Monday, December 3rd 2007, 4:00 AM
Stephon Marbury was shocked on Sunday night after his father, Don (below, r.), passed away after attending the Knicks loss to the Suns. Cataffo/News

Stephon Marbury was shocked on Sunday night after his father, Don (below, r.), passed away after attending the Knicks loss to the Suns.
Mabel and Don Marbury Cataffo/News

Don Marbury, the patriarch of one of New York's most famous basketball families, died of an apparent heart attack while attending Sunday night's Knicks game at Madison Square Garden.

Stephon Marbury, the sixth of Don's seven children, learned of his father's death immediately after the game and quickly left the arena without comments. Don suffered chest pains during the game and was taken by ambulance to a local hospital, where he later died.

The news was a devastating blow to Marbury, whose fifth season in New York has been filled with controversy and tragedy. On Nov. 19, Marbury's aunt Helen Thomas, the grandmother of Timberwolves point guard Sebastian Telfair, died.

Also, Robert (Mr. Lou) Williams, a mentor to Marbury growing up in Coney Island, died on Nov. 13, the same day that Marbury returned home to New York upset that Isiah Thomas was taking him out of the starting lineup.

Funeral arrangements were pending.

Marbury rushed through the empty Knicks' locker room 25 minutes after the Suns' 115-104 victory and was heard shouting to a friend, "Jesus, that's how."

Over the summer, Marbury announced that he was dedicating his life to God.

Marbury has fallen out of favor this season with Thomas, who decided to bench his celebrated point guard prior to the Nov. 13 Knicks-Suns game in Phoenix. Marbury left the team for 24 hours and when he returned, the players voted that he shouldn't play against the Clippers.

Thomas asked the players to vote but he elected to ignore their decision. Marbury came off the bench for three straight games until regaining his starting job Nov.20 against Golden State. That was the Knicks' first home game since Marbury went AWOL on the team and he was booed by the home crowd. In four subsequent home games, Marbury has been booed during player introductions.

Marbury also found controversy over the summer when he conducted a bizarre and rambling interview on the Ch. 4 sports program "Mike'd Up." In September, Marbury testified at Thomas's sexual harassment trail and admitted to an extramarital affair with a former Garden intern.

Don Marbury attended Stephon's first game with the Knicks in January 2004 and was a regular visitor to the Garden. Don and Mabel had two girls and five boys, all the sons playing basketball at Lincoln High School.

http://tinyurl.com/2oyy2n

Oscar Wilde
bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 04:40:32 PM »

Nicky Watson's beloved Cricket found dead

Tuesday, 04 December 2007
A woman close to Ms Watson said she had not slept since her dog went missing at the beach on November 24.

Cricket  was found dead yesterday morning.

The woman posted a notice about the missing dog on a website.

She said she had received a "general text" thanking those who tried to help find Cricket, owned by Ms Watson for nine years.

"It's sad for her. She's pretty upset."

She had searched the area with friends and put fliers up around the Whitianga area.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4311620a5620.html

Oscar Wilde
bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 04:40:05 PM »

Rapper Pimp C's death being treated as homicide

Dec. 4, 2007, 3:57PM
Rapper Pimp C of the rap duo UGK was found dead this morning in a Hollywood hotel room. Local police said his death is being treated as a homicide.

Police responded to a 911 call and found the 33-year-old rapper (real name Chad Butler), dead in his bed at the Mondrian Hotel. His publicist confirmed his death this afternoon.

Pimp C had performed in Los Angeles last Saturday.

UGK — which also featured Bun B — formed in Port Arthur in the late-'80s. The duo released its major label debut, Too Hard to Swallow, in 1992, and drew more attention when it appeared on Jay-Z's hit single Big Pimpin' in 2000.

Any momentum from that guest spot was halted when Butler was imprisoned in January 2002 after falling behind on community service required after pleading no contest to aggravated assault. He was paroled in December 2005 after serving half of his sentence.

His release initiated national interest in a new recording by a reunited UGK. The album was scheduled for release in late 2006, but was oft-delayed. The two-CD opus Underground Kingz was released in August and debuted No. 1, UGK's first chart-topper.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/celebrities/5351186.html

Oscar Wilde
Carnut
Administrator

Wichita, Kansas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 08:01:50 PM »

Pioneer drag racer, innovator Arfons dies

Pioneering drag racer, jet car driver, and land-speed record holder Art Arfons died Dec. 3. He was 81. Arfons was a member of the Motor Sports Hall of Fame of America, the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame, the International Motor Sports Hall of Fame, the National Tractor Puller Association Hall of Fame, and the Summit County Sports Hall of Fame. He also was voted number 71 on NHRA's list of top drivers of its first 50 years in 2001.

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/25863.htm

bleachedblack
1000 Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 11:38:47 AM »

Beloved ABC News Colleague Has Died

Ralph Binder Killed in I-80 Crash En Route to Omaha, Neb., to Cover Mall Shooting -- Began Working for ABC in 1974

Dec. 6, 2007
I am deeply sorry to report that we lost a beloved colleague today, cameraman Ralph Binder. Ralph was driving with soundman Dan Johnson from Denver to Omaha, Neb., to cover the mall shooting. They were in an accident on Interstate 80 near Grand Island, Neb. Ralph was killed; Dan was treated and released from the hospital.

>>>>the complete article

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3965294

Oscar Wilde
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30 Go Up Print 
goldmonkey.org  |  General  |  U.S. News  |  Topic: Dead Celebrities « previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
MySQL - PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC W3C XHTML - W3C CSS

Gold Monkey Chat Bar
T-Shirt Store

Legends Kennels

BTs Myspace

Sock Monkey Calendar

Gold Monkey Chat Bar
Cafepress Store

Cubbeegirls MySpace

Casas MySpace

Sues MySpace

Google
Carnut.com Web